Friday, March 7, 2008

First Doctor's Visit- Yay Larvae!

Tim accompanied me to my first prenatal visit today. It was AMAZING. So much more awesome than words, I tell ya. It was just the best.

I have to admit that I expected it to be way more grueling than it was- I was imagining extensive pelvic exams, all sorts of gizmos, tests galore. But really, it was no more than a normal girlie visit... except for the sonogram of AWESOME.

They used a wand sonogram (since it's early on, the belly one doesn't really work as well) and showed us the larvae! Let me take a moment to say how much I LOVE TECHNOLOGY! The doc put the wand sonogram up there and first, it was just darkness and weirdness.. then, all of a sudden, there was this white blippy thing... then, he zoomed in and got more focused and WHOA! There it was! Larvae! This little white blob that vaguely looked like a little person (due to the nose, or hinting of a nose) attached with an umbilical cord! I felt so flooded with happiness and relief (since there was only one and it looked awesome) that I kept giving Tim high-fives and thumbs-up.

The doc then zoomed in and took a still, then measured the baby from butt to head. It was sooo tiny, only .87cm! The tool he used to drag and measure actually looked like the measure tool in Photoshop. But THIS measure immediately updated us with the new gestation estimate and due date.

I found out that I was wrong... I'm only 7 weeks pregg-o, so about a week or so behind what I thought... and that means the baby is due October 25th, about a week from my birthday and just about a week after Tim's birthday. So, this baby may be the great Brooke/Tim cusp baby! Sweet!

The best part was that the doctor let me take home two sonogram pictures that I promise I will scan and put on the internet very very soon (just found out my scanner is broken). I keep holding the picture, staring in wonder and just being amazed that THAT is in ME!

wacky!

siiiiiiiiiigh

now for a semi-hot bath and some sleep.

3 comments:

Abigail K. said...

Sonograms are awesome. I'm glad that it's only one! I have to say that I'm also terrified of multiples.

Frye79 said...

So, the big question: Are you going to find out what you're having, or are you going to let it be a surprise?

the ineffable b said...

We WILL be finding out what we're having, as we're both awful with surprises. And honestly, I don't want to waste time trying to figure out names for BOTH sexes if I don't have to.

Laziness rules!