Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Cloth Diapering

I am an idealistic first time mom who is probably biting off more than she can chew, here. But I want to try to do almost 100 percent cloth diapering. I am a proud hippy, defender of the environment and eco-crusader, of sorts. For those reasons, I really am against using commercial diapers for our children. Just the idea of the environmental impact that commercial diapers have is astounding. However, we're not too gutsy to think we can go 100 percent cloth diaper, since we may have times where we're begging our family to take the baby for a night or two and don't want to be a pain in the butt. So, we're thinking about having small amounts of commercial diapers on us for those times and using cloth diapers for the majority of the time.



So, I'm in the market for a good cloth diapering service, as well as any advice people have on cloth diapering successfully. I've taken the first steps, but I still feel really daunted by it all. It's so much information to deal with! All-in-ones, wool overnight pants to hinder leaks, cloth diaper covers, pre-folded or not pre-folded??? I feel a bit lost, here. It's tough.

I found one cloth diaper service in the area that I plan to call and check out, Modern Diaper Service. Their site says it's only $17/week for 60 diapers, which seems really good from the pricing I've done on commercial diapers. But most of my family has always done the regular old diaper route, so I'm so unfamiliar with all this.

Eco friendly friends? Any help?

4 comments:

Abigail K. said...

I don't have any suggestions for local services, but... commercial diapers are so rough on the skin! Your baby will be a lot happier with cloth diapers, I'm sure. And it looks like they've come a long way since the little cotton rectangles that my parents had ME in when I was a baby.

the ineffable b said...

I'm really excited about them, in some odd way. I mean, they're just cloth diapers, right? But I have a feeling it will be so much better than the commercial ones..

Plus, the cheetah print is so totally BALTIMORE!

Amy said...

I get pads from this lady in Canada:
http://www.sweetcheeksdiapers.com/home.html

I LOVE them, they are so soft and easy to use and are holding up great. Unfortunately the current economy might make them too expensive but she gives tips on what to do if you buy them on eBay. And a tip: some of the things are the same on her diaper or pad site, but are cheaper on the pad site.

I know this knitting auntie plans on cranking out a few soaker covers!

Amy said...

I get pads from this lady in Canada:
http://www.sweetcheeksdiapers.com/home.html

I LOVE them, they are so soft and easy to use and are holding up great. Unfortunately the current economy might make them too expensive but she gives tips on what to do if you buy them on eBay. And a tip: some of the things are the same on her diaper or pad site, but are cheaper on the pad site.

I know this knitting auntie plans on cranking out a few soaker covers!