Sunday, October 26, 2008

Nursing is tough stuff

Nursing is really hard, or at least for me it is. I'm finding that it's so tough to make it work, especially b/c I have very limited positions right now due to my c-section incision. I can't sit upright extremely well, so the normal cross-body hold is tough to maneuver. But, like Tim Gunn says, I'm "making it work" any way I can.

Did you know that during the first few days of work, you're aiming to have your baby feed 8-12 times a day? That's a lot! We only got six yesterday, but I think we're going to hit the mark today. Already she's hit four feedings since midnight, so we're doing better!

And the nurse taught us the BEST trick ever!!! She gave us a syringe of sugar water that I use to drop on me and in Story's mouth while feeding. This is helping her to latch much better than before (she was oddly motor-boating it and just not fully getting it down every time. This caused her to start wailing like bloody murder!) We've found this to be a great tool to get her to latch and she's already starting to get it without the syringe now. YAY for women's wisdom!

And I made more progress in the last hour- I was able to walk down the hall to the "kitchen" and refill my own water/ice. It doesn't seem like much, but it was a huge triumph for me. I've barely been able to walk around our room, so it was great to get down the hall! And I'm wearing more "normal" clothes, like a nursing tank and a pair of palazzo pants, so I'm feeling more like myself every moment.

Though it's so weird to see how I look five months preggo, still. It's gonna take a while for the belly to settle down a bit again, I know that. But I have to admit it makes me feel porky and unattractive. Thank goodness for hubby who tells me I'm pretty all the time :)

3 comments:

Amy Chess said...

Oh Brooke, I feel your pain!!! First, you are doing an amazing thing for your daughter by nursing her. It is tough in the beginning, no doubt, but it gets easier. Take advantage of all the resources you have there, nurses, lactation consultants, etc. We worked with 2 LCs and they were fantastic---I couldn't have nursed without their help. That said, I also couldn't have nursed w/o Rob's help. I know that it's tough to let go and have Tim take on so much, but it's going to be important for Tim to have that sort of involvement. Rob felt a little left out after a few weeks b/c almost all of H's needs could only be met by me. So, it's really important that Tim does as much for you and Story as he can, so that he feels like a proud, involved Papa!! You guys sound like you are doing wonderfully and are experiencing so much joy! And 7 lbs, 15 oz, is a very respectable size. I don't think that size matters b/c in the end, you just are so uncomfortable and want that baby out!!! Can't wait to see more pics, she sounds like a happy little gal:) Big hugs:)

Unknown said...

I love those lactation consultants!! I had one's card on my fridge for months! This is a hard time, I remember all of the emotions. Don't even give your body a thought for now, you are supporting new life!! When I had Blake he was almost 9lbs. I was so eager 2 days later to see how much weight I lost in childbirth and I was devastated to find that I had gained 2lbs... Like, 2 lbs up from my weight checking in, with the baby still IN ME. WTF. Something to do with water weight and all the pushing. Whatever. Anyways, I wish someone had told me that it's ok if you leave the hospital weighing more than when you came in. That wasn't in any of the books. ;-) And, being a mommy just makes you beautifuller than you were before no matter what. Hang in there!

Toya said...

I hear ya, Brookie. Nursing can be tough business, especially in the beginning. My nipples cracked and bled and were so sore for the first couple of weeks that I would cry in pain when she nursed. But we stuck it out and I'm so glad. You're doing a great thing for Story. Now ... when can I come snuggle her???