Monday, October 6, 2008

Final Preparations

As of Saturday, I am full term. That means that our daughterling can come anytime in the next few weeks and she'd be fine to survive outside the womb. Her body is fully developed and is now just refining itself- putting on more fat, practicing breathing, using her little muscles for kicking and punching, etc. It's really cool to know that we've made this milestone, though it also puts the preparation instinct into full swing.

One of the biggest things is out of the way, though! Tim's parents were so kind and took us to get our travel system (stroller, car seat, car units for strapping in the seat.) I was getting so worried about not having this in time, because they do not let you out of the hospital without the car seat and since we're getting close here, I've been worried about going into labor without one. Anyways, they were dears and went with us to Babies R Us yesterday and were generous enough to buy it for us. Seriously alleviated more stress.

The other thing we did yesterday was put up our vinyl graphics in the nursery. I know it sounds silly and unnecessary, but I really wanted to do some cool decorating in her room. We already purchased an awesome bird-on-a-leaf graphic that goes behind the crib, so I had this thought about making her room a kind of cool play environment. So I designed some fluffly rain clouds and had them made by one of the vendors I use at work. Tim, being the ultimate husband, installed them yesterday and the room looks SO COOL. The only things we have left to do are install a shelf for books/nursing supplies and we're set!

Of course, one of the most important things I have to do is still undone- packing the hospital bag. I have to remember to bring my work bag home and pack it full of stuff- props/tools for natural birth, our birth "plan," a night gown/clothes to wear after birth, going home clothes/blanket for the baby, snacks, take out menus for local places near the hospital, a book each for Tim and I... basically it's like packing for a weekend trip. Most people do this at 30 weeks or so, but I'm the ultimate procrastinator. Sigh... I know what I'm up to tonight!

Ok, time to go to work! Signing off!

No comments: