Sunday, January 11, 2009

so close...more TMI fun

I really am so close to quitting breastfeeding. I am trying SO HARD to stay the course, but this is crazy. My breast infection is only slightly less painful, even after five days on antibiotics. I'm no longer crying while nursing, but it's still so painful that I can only stand a few minutes before wimping out. This is seriously some of the most intense and awful pain I've ever experienced. Well, next to the c-section :)

I'm just so depressed that my antibiotics seem to not be working. Usually it takes several days for antibiotics to work for me, but this time they just aren't kicking in. My life has also gotten extremely harder due to this infection, as I now can only feed on the left side AND I have to pump the right every time I feed on the left to make sure my supply stays intact.

Now for a major whinefest... throughout the course of pregnancy and mother hood I have dealt with the following:

*UTIs for the first time in my life
*Ridiculously swollen legs, feet and sometimes hands
*A c-section I wasn't expecting
*Horrible breastfeeding info from nurses once Story was born that resulted in low milk levels, when combined with my c-section drugs
*A sleepy baby who didn't gain enough weight due to poor breastfeeding practices on my part and c-section meds
*Another UTI I got in the hospital from my surgery recovery
*A breast infection that makes breastfeeding the worst pain ever

I know, I know, women go through a lot of crap. And there are many bullets I dodged, thanks to luck of the draw. But still, that's a long list!

I know I really want to breastfeed Story, but honestly... that formula keeps looking better and better...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well you know this is what broke me too. The pain is awful. I had the infection too, and when I couldn't kick it, I finally had to decide that it was too much for me. I'm torn between urging you to "hang in there, you'll get through it and it will be so worthwhile!". Because I think that's what part of you wants to hear. I know you want to make it through to the other side so badly. And I will be so proud if you do. But I also remember the pain. And at some point, I decided that formula was not the end of the world if it meant I got to enjoy my baby again. These circumstances are out of your control and you have to do what's best for both you and Story. And you will. You're such a good mommy. Good luck!

Chrystal said...

Hey mama email me at somdgirl83(at)gmail(dot)com. I was wondering if you were going to the gtg if you want me to pick you up along the way. TTYL!

Chrystal said...

P.S. try to hang in there with the breast feeding, I had a lot of issues and I quit. I regret it now. Its hard but I do miss it.