Friday, December 12, 2008

Dream Dinners update

So, we've been doing Dream Dinners for several months now and I have to say that it has been a pretty good experience on the whole. A lot of the meals have been super tasty and easy to prepare. It's also saved us a bit of cash, which is great in these leaner times. Seriously, some of the meals (like their crab pinwheels and stuffed shells) have been smack-yo-mama good! I have received may high fives from the hubby.

The only downsides have been that just as some of the meals have been stellar, some have been pretty bad AND the cook time on a lot of the meals we've had lately don't make it a convenience for us (a lot of th emeals we first found had only 10-20 minute cook times, now we're finding most have 50 minute plus cook times.) Not only are we talking bad taste-wise, but quality wise as well. Two that come to mind are their citrus tilapia (which has turned us off from getting fish dishes in the future) which tasted way too fishy and bland and the pork paprika, which was watery and downright gross.

Because of this, we will probably cut back our meals in the future and be choosier about getting dishes we've tried and liked. That means going back to meal planning/buying more groceries, but I'm actually a bit excited by it. I think we'll still try to do Dream Dinners for the next few months during the weeknights, but I'm getting to a point where Tim and I can manage cooking on the weekend.

Plus, cooking is actually really stress relieving for me and I miss putting dinners together from scratch.

I'd still recommend a service like Dream Dinners to anyone trying to save some time and money on meals (especially new parents.) But I kind of can't wait to cut down on them a bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you have had a great Dream Dinners experience. It is the ultimate buy in bulk and save way to have a home cooked dinner and does cost less than buying the same ingredients at a grocery store. It is also very eco friendly, so much less packaging when you buy in bulk. We actually have children on our tasting panels; it is amazing to see what kids will really eat. We put kids in a box when we only feed them "white foods". Don’t miss our new Dream Rewards program, where you will receive gifts and other specials. You can get even more ideas on my blog Take care. http://stephanieallen.wordpress.com/