Tuesday, September 2, 2008

gratitude

I had my baby shower on Saturday and I cannot express how lucky I feel. My sister put so much hard work into organizing the event, including tons of cooking and Martha Stewart-like hostessing. My mother and mother-in-law also pitched in, as well as my sister's close friends, my niece and her good friend. So many friends and family trucked on up to the Frederick area to help celebrate our daughter-to-be and lend their support. It was so fantastic, so much better than I could have imagined.

I'll admit that although I'm a performer, I can't stand to have attention on me in a regular setting. Sure, family/friend gatherings are one thing, but whole events centered on me are daunting and flattering. I was a bit scared of having so many people there to focus on me and my pregnatude that I found myself working like crazy with my sister and everyone on setting out food and stuff for the shower, because I was nervous and needed distraction. But it was awesome! Everyone was so relaxed and I got to just sit back, mingle and enjoy myself.

So, as to the loot... we walked away with some awesome clothes for the gal (she is going to be more hip and trendy than Tim and I can ever hope to be) as well as some necessities, like two Boppys, a nifty snack ball, rattles, toys, bedding, etc. What I really loved was how all of my friends and family had really put themselves into their gifts and what they gave reflected them. It was great to receive handmade gifts as well, like soakers/kimonos/burpcloths from Amy and a beauteous receiving blanket from Linda.

Now we have to gear up for the rest of the crazy baby spending. I tell ya, there is a LOT you have to acquire for start-up supplies. But thankfully we have some moolah stored up, so we should be ok. One awesome thing I found out is that a new shop is opening in Pikesville this weekend that sells cloth diapering and mothering materials. I'm going to give it a go on Sunday and see what it's like. I really would like to get to try some things out and see what I'm interested in buying before I go all gung-ho.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, sweetie. I really wanted to make your shower but ended up being blindsided by another wedding shower. I was thinking of you and the little larva.

the ineffable b said...

hey rohini!

Don't you worry! Wedding showers are just as important as baby showers, especially when they're your own! I miss seeing you though! You should drag Will out sometime to one of our RSC Bar-b-ques!