Monday, September 29, 2008

Dear Daughterling

I put off having you for so long, because I felt like I needed the time to be perfect- I'd have a great job, your dad and I would own a house you could grow into, I'd feel we were financially stable enough to provide for you, I'd be mature enough to be the best parent I possibly could be, the world would be safer, the economy would be stable and everything would fall into place, ensuring you the least amount of stress, worry or care.

Well, if any of us waited in this world for the optimal environment for having children, the planet would be barren and left to the monkeys to deal with.

It's with an odd chuckle that I realize you're coming into this world in a time of tremendous upheaval. Our economy is totally shot (they just announced today that a bill that would bail out Wall Street, which is this big money making place you'll learn about some day, isn't passing and the world is freaking out), we're in a state of flux in the Middle East, Russia hates us, a lot of the world hates us, for that matter, big financial institutions and banks are going under, the housing market is tanked, global warming is rapidly changing our climate, many people are without jobs and we're in the midst of a historical election that will take place just days after you arrive on the scene.

But for all this, I don't think you could possibly show up at a better time. Because having you in such a time as this means that, with the whole world seemingly stacked against itself, there's nowhere to go but up. And, as is said in a very cheesy Disney movie mommy loves, "the flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare." So it's odd to know that in a time where I'd usually be freaking out about everything and wanting to hide under a rock, I'm finding myself smiling like crazy and being extremely excited... all because of you.

And you know what, too? I went back and did some checking around and you know what? The world was pretty crazy when I was born, too. I just don't think there's ever a perfect time for any of us to come into this world. Or maybe, anytime is a perfect time for us to come into this world.

Anyways, you'll be here soon and more than likely everything will still be crazy, unsolved, undecided and up-in-the-air. But that's OK. I think you'll like it here anyways. Even though everything seems crazy now, the world is full of awesome things that make times like these drift from our memories as we grow older.

Like ice cream. Man, you're gonna LOVE ice cream.

See you soon,

Love yo momma.

No comments: