Friday, May 8, 2009

Made it to almost 7 months!

Well, it was a good 7 months worth of trying, but I've decided to give one final go this weekend, then I'm finally throwing in the breastfeeding towel. Story has weened herself (yes, you read that right. She's started refusing to nurse besides for comfort and will only take bottles besides) and I'm down to getting a whopping 1-3 ounces per day pumping (4-5 sessions). I've tried it all- supplements, oatmeal, old wives tricks, more pumping, less pumping. And in the end, it's just time to face the fact that my time breastfeeding miss lady might be done.

I'm really proud I made it this far and a little disappointed I can't hold out for a full year. I really wanted to make it a year, but, honestly, I'm not holding out hope. I've already done so many crazy things to keep it going, but my final straw is the fact that Story herself has decided that it's obsolete. Ever since she stopped feeding, my supply has seriously tanked.

So, I figure I'll try all I can to get her to feed this weekend, but if she refuses, I'll resign myself and put away my pumping gear. The amount I'm getting for all this effort is foolish, especially when she's almost totally formula and solid food fed now.

But still, bummer.

Oh well, everything ends. I just suck at not making goals I set for myself.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Brooke!! Congratulations!! 7 months is an incredible feat! I have marveled at your determination from the the get-go, but please don't see this as a goal unattained. There are TWO people involved in this situation, and you can only control one of them. Blake weaned himself too, and it was so frustrating. But, once you have packed away your pumping supplies and patted yourself on the back, enjoy the fact that your body is yours again!! :-) Congrats!

Amy Chess said...

You did an awesome thing for Story with BFing her for 7 months---it's great!!!. You put a lot of effort and tears into it, and you should be so proud. Don't beat yourself up....and as Kathryn pointed out, enjoy your body again!

Amy said...

I think whether you BF for 7 days or 7 months it's still an amazing thing! Perhaps she's ready to join the party at the dinner table?

N'lo said...

ha, rather she's giving you a lesson in reasonable goal setting for yourself! There's only so much you can control in this particular arrangement, and seriously it just shows how well and efficiently you did that she's grown enough to no longer need that part of the nurturing.