Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Telling Work

I'm so nervous about telling my job. Mostly, because I know how essential my position is here (I'm the only designer, besides the web designer) and I'm worried about upsetting my boss (who rules) and stressing her out. I know that's lame. But there, I said it.

What's really hard for me is the whole being-the-breadwinner thing. Since I make a bit more than Tim, it's a bit frightening to think of what we'll do financially when I take maternity leave. The one good thing about my job is that you technically get four months leave. Month one, you use your CLB (Combined Leave Benefits) and get all of your salary for one month. maternity leave doesn't kick in until one month after you go, so the issue is that if you don't have CLB, you're screwed in the first month. However, months 2-4 you get 60% of your pay.

My issue is the conflict between wanting to be home as much as I can with the realization that we probably can't swing things for too long on only 60% of my salary. Sadly, Tim doesn't get paternity leave, so that's out of the question.

It's hard. I'm a real career girl, but I'm finding myself dreaming of being a stay at home mum. I know it would drive me crazy, but I just wish I had the option, or even that Tim could have the option.

Damn being an adult with a mortgage!

2 comments:

Felinegroovy said...

I am so excited for you. I am sure you can swing the working mom thing. And you willbe fantastic.

your job prolly doesnt have a day care does it?

the ineffable b said...

Sadly, no daycare at this job. I'm gonna be at a loss to find someone, but I'm sure something will work out.